To view my galleries, find out more information about me, and to contact me, please visit my website.

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Snowdonia

Eight days away from the blog and it seems like a lifetime.

So what have I been up to in the past week? Looking back upon it now it seems like I have achieved very little photographically; however, judging by the number of new photographs in my Lightroom catalogue, this simply is not true.


One very major contributor to this has been a 21 hour time lapse video of an opening daffodil. During the making of this my camera fired off an image every 20 seconds, resulting in a grand total of 3,500 images. This may seem a little excessive, but in my opinion it is better to have too many images and too long video than a too short jerky clip.


I have also had another pop at white-background studio shots of invertebrates as described in my previous blog post. Just like when shooting white-background shots of people, a way to make a white-background shot of an invertebrate stand out is to highlight interesting shapes. I think I have achieved this with this pair of shots but that is not for me to judge.

Perhaps the reason I have felt like I have done no photography over the past week is that all of these photographs were taken indoors in a (relatively) sterile studio setting. Thankfully, today I was able to get back outside into the real world. More specifically, to Snowdonia.


The weather did not deliver the mix of sun, rain, and stormy clouds we were promised. Instead, the National Park was draped in a dull grey blanket of cloud. However, for some types of landscape photography this is not all bad. Flat light prevents too many highlights being burned out and allows longer exposures, perfect for blurring waves or waterfalls.


Close-ups of waterfalls such as this image are all well and good, but for quite a while I have been trying to find a waterfall where it is possible to include a mountain vista as a background. Today I finally found a waterfall that allowed me to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment