To view my galleries, find out more information about me, and to contact me, please visit my website.

Thursday 5 November 2009

Deer, Seals, and Eagles


As it has been over a week since my last post, I am going to make this one a little longer than usual to make up for it.

I am also going include a few promises for future blog posts, partially so you know what is coming and partially because I will have to do it once I have promised. An extra little motivation for me!

This has been a busy week. Firstly, the first deadline of the MSc course is coming up next week; a research poster. I have had a week of frantic photography and design work trying to get it up to scratch.

Thankfully, I have got myself a seriously cool subject matter to keep things interesting. The Golden Eagle! "Now, where does one find a Golden Eagle in urban Nottinghamshire" I hear you ask?

Luckily, one of our course supervisors, David Fox, is a published world expert in falconry and has a pair of these magnificent birds and was perfectly happy for me to accompany him on one of his daily flights and take a few photographs. David is not only a lovely chap but a photographer himself so was perfectly willing to tailor the bird's flight patterns to suit my needs.


The eagle himself was also brilliant. I have never before photographed animals with such perfect poise. David likens them to big cats; constantly alert and scanning the environment. I agree to this to some extent but I have to admit the wild lions I have encountered spent 90% of their simply sitting or sleeping in a housecat-in-front-of-the-fire-like slouch!

An amazing experience though it was, I have also managed to fit other things into my week. Chiefly among this has been designing a new format for reports on wildlife locations I have recently visited. I am currently working on articles on Wollaton Hall in Nottingham and Bradgate Park in Leicestershire.


Last but not least, I am heading off to Donna Nook this weekend with Sam Waldron and Lee Webb. I hope to post some new seal photos and a site report on here pronto. Over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment